What is the Tax Instalment Plan? |
The City of Red Deer's Tax Instalment Plan (TIP) is a simple, secure and convenient way to pay your annual property taxes.
The plan simplifies your budgeting by dividing your yearly property taxes into smaller monthly sums. These sums are automatically withdrawn from your bank account on the last working day of each month, saving you time and postage costs and helping you avoid the risk of penalties. There is no charge to join the plan.
How do I enroll?
Anyone can enrol providing the following conditions are met:
- Tax arrears, supplementary taxes and charges transferred to taxes must be paid in full prior to you starting on the plan.
- Buildings on your property must be 100% complete by December 31 of the prior year.
- Your taxes are NOT being paid by a mortgage company.
Please note that supplementary tax levies are not eligible for the instalment plan.
Ways to enroll?
- Print the application form TIP Application for Preauthorized withdrawal, and mail or fax it to us. You must contact the Revenue & Assessment Services department in order to complete the payment portion if you are using the form from the website.
- Pick up application form in person at Revenue & Assessment Services on the 4th floor of City Hall, 4914 48 Avenue, or call 403-342-8126 to request an application.
If choosing to enroll, please complete the form and deliver it signed with a void blank cheque and any required initial payment in one of the following three ways:
- In person to Revenue & Assessment Services
- By fax to 403-342-8199
- By mail to Revenue & Assessment Services, Box 5008, Red Deer, AB, T4N 3T4
Frequently Asked Questions
When would payments be taken from my account?
Once you are enrolled in TIP, your monthly property tax payments will be automatically withdrawn from your bank account on the last banking day of each month.
When is the deadline to enroll?
You can enrol in the TIP program at anytime but your enrolment information must reach the Tax department by the 15th of the month in order for your TIP payment to commence in that month.
To avoid penalties on current year taxes, the fully completed application form must reach the Assessment and Taxation office by June 15.
What is the initial payment?
To divide your current property tax year's payments equally over 12 months, you must enrol by January 15. TIP payments typically begin in January. However, if you are enrolling in TIP later in the year, you can join by paying an initial payment which is equivalent to the missed instalments. City tax staff will calculate this amount for you.
Is TIP transferable?
TIP is not transferable. You must complete a new TIP application for your new property. Contact the Tax Department for further details.
How do I change banking information or cancel my Tax Instalment Plan?
You can change or cancel your Tax Instalment Plan by coming into the Revenue & Assessment Services department and filling out the required form. You can also print the Change/Cancellation Form, fill in the required information and mail or fax it to the following address:
The City of Red Deer
Revenue & Assessment Services
P.O. Box 5008
Red Deer, AB T4N 3T4
Do I have to enrol in the TIP program every year to continue automatic payment withdrawals?
No. Once you enrol in the TIP program it remains in place until you contact us in writing to cancel.
For more information on the Tax Instalment Payment Plan, please contact Revenue & Assessment Services.