Better for You and Better for the Environment
The City of Red Deer is a member of Built Green™ Alberta and a member of the Central Alberta Home Builders Association. The Central Alberta Home Builders brought the Built Green™ Program to Central Alberta, and in 2005 you began to see new homes built with the "Built Green™" designation.
Why "Built Green™"?
- Canadians use more energy per capita than any other country in the world. Energy consumption has increased 10% since 1990. Energy costs are expected to rise and have set a new high this year. A Built Green™ house is designed to conserve energy.
- Canadians generate one of the highest rates of garbage per capita in the world. The average new home generates five tons of construction waste. The Built Green™ house encourages waste recycling and reduction of waste.
- A household of four people taking daily five minute showers consumes a lifetime supply of drinking water for one person every six months; normal shower heads provide much greater volume of water than is needed for a shower. With one third of the world's population already facing a scarcity of water, conservation will be an important part of future growth. Built Green™ homes encourage the use of low water consuming shower heads and toilets.
- The average Canadian spends 90 per cent of their time indoors. Poor air quality in homes and buildings has been cited as a likely contributor to asthma; asthma affects 13 per cent of school age children in Alberta and is Alberta's most chronic disease. Indoor air quality is a key component on the Built Green™ program, which encourages the use of materials and finishes to eliminate residual off gassing of potentially dangerous chemicals.
What is a Built Green™ Building?
Green building is more than just adding insulation or a high efficiency furnace. A green building treats the home as a system and in general incorporates the following:
- High energy efficiency in heating systems, lighting and appliances
- A well sealed, well insulated building
- Water conserving features inside and out
- Use of products that have recycled content, come from certified managed sources and/or are more durable
- Careful product selection to eliminate the off gassing of potentially dangerous chemicals
- Proper natural and mechanical ventilation to improve air quality
What are the Benefits of a Built Green™ Home?
- Lower operating costs
- Increased comfort
- Lower maintenance costs
- Improved air quality
- Increased market and resale value
- Lower environmental impact
Built Green™ Alberta Levels
EnerGuide rating of 72; this is 11 per cent more energy efficient than standard construction.
EnerGuide rating of 75; this is about 18-21 per cent more energy efficient than standard construction.
EnerGuide rating of 77; this is about 25-30 per cent more energy efficient than standard construction.
How do I find a "Built Green™" Home?
More Central Alberta homebuilders are signing on every day. Ask your builder if they are part of the Built Green™ program or check for the current list of builders at the Central Alberta Home Builders site. The Central Alberta Home Builder's Web site has lots of information on Built Green™ Homes. Make a difference and choose "Built Green™".
Built Green Brochure
Central Alberta Home Builders