Printer Friendly Version

Detached Garage, Carport & Shed Permits

Do I need a permit for a detached garage, carport or shed?
Garages, carports and sheds over 10 metres2 (10 feet x 10 feet) require a building permit to ensure that the location chosen for the building complies with the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw
and the Alberta Building Code. A shed under 10 metres2 and not permanently attached to a foundation does not require a permit, but must comply with the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw.

What are the general requirements of the Land Use Bylaw?
The detached garage, carport or shed must:
  • not be located in the front yard
  • be located a minimum of 0.9 metres (3 feet) from the side property line
  • be located 0.9 metres (3 feet) or 6 metres (20 feet) from the rear property line unless an easement has been placed along the rear boundary. If there is an easement, the building must be located 0.5 metres (1.6 feet) from the easement or 6 metres (20 feet) from the rear property line
  • not exceed 4.5 metres (14 feet 9 inches) in height
  • have a total site coverage including the house and any accessory buildings that doesn't exceed 40% of the site area
  • not exceed 2/3 the width of the lot

If the proposed garage, carport or shed does not meet these requirements, your application may have to be considered by the Municipal Planning Commission.

How do I apply for a permit?
Building permit applications may be applied for between 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding holidays), at the 
Inspections and Licensing Department, third floor, City Hall.

What do I need to submit with my application?
You will need two copies of a site plan showing the proposed location of the building. These plans must be reasonably drawn to scale, preferably done in Imperial 1/8 inch = 1 foot or in Metric, a scale of 1:100. The plans must describe the location of the building, all site dimensions, easements and service locations. City staff will be pleased to offer assistance upon request.

You will also need to fill out a detailed specification sheet  Garage Detail Sheet upon application for your garage permit. This is available from the Inspections and Licensing Department.

Can I build my garage, carport or shed over utility service lines?
You should not locate an accessory building over a sewer or water line unless you enter into an agreement/caveat that is registered with the Land Titles office. These agreements are available from the Inspections and Licensing Department. Accessory buildings must not be built over a gas line.

Additional Information
This information explains the requirements for a detached garage, carport or shed on an interior parcel of land only and is only intended to offer general guidance. For additional information on detached garages, attached garages, carports and sheds, please view the  Detached garages, carports and sheds brochure or consult with The City of Red Deer 
Inspections and Licensing Department.

When can I start work?
You may begin construction as soon as you have paid for and picked up your building permit. Building permits will take approximately 2-3 weeks to be issued. Failure to pick up your building permit prior to starting construction will result in double permit fees.