October 6, 2009
(Red Deer, Alberta) – A town hall session to address issues in the downtown core will be held in conjunction with the Downtown Business Association Annual General Meeting on November 18. The town hall will be hosted by a new City ad-hoc task force created to focus on improvements to the downtown.
“The task force met for the first time last week and is excited to work towards improved safety, enhanced economic development, increased communications and the rejuvenation of our downtown,” said Mayor Morris Flewwelling. “The town hall session is the first step for this task force in creating a more vibrant and safe downtown core. “
The committee is chaired by Mayor Flewwelling and includes:
- Buck Buchanan, City Councillor
- Cindy Jefferies, City Councillor
- Gail Parks, City Councillor
- Lorna Watkinson-Zimmer, City Councillor
- Craig Curtis, City Manager
- Colleen Jensen, Director, Community Services
- Brian Simpson, RCMP Superintendent
- Ed Morris, Greater Downtown Coordinator
- Laura Turner, Executive Director, Red Deer Downtown Business Association
- Terry Lee Ropchan, Chair, Crime Prevention Advisory Committee
In the next few weeks the task force will develop a terms of reference and an official name as well as a plan forward in preparation for the town hall.
“This task force is a partnership that brings us together to discover how we can minimize safety and security concerns in the downtown,” said Mayor Flewwelling. “As the heart of our community, the downtown needs our attention now.”
More details regarding the town hall will be released when available.
For more information, please contact:
Mayor Morris Flewwelling
The City of Red Deer