Are you too shy to meet your neighbours? Feel as though everyone is too busy? This initiative helps reduce the barriers to getting to know the people who live around you.
Great Neighbours is an initiative connecting neighbours on your rural or urban block. Remember a time when we used to know our neighbours? It doesn’t have to be a thing of the past. Great Neighbours is a grassroots initiative helping neighbours get to know one another better.
Block Connectors are being recruited across Red Deer, Red Deer County, Bowden, Delburne, Elnora and Penhold, to informally connect neighbours.
Would you like to spark a connection with your neighbours and within your community? Our Spark Grant provides a matching grant to help you build relationships and get to know your neighbours.
Why be Neighbourly?
Research tells us that when we know our neighbours, it helps us in many ways:
- Boosts our physical and mental health
- Helps us feel safe when we watch out for one another
- Saves us time and money by sharing resources and swapping services
- Promotes the environment by encouraging local shopping, carpooling, garden produce sharing
- Supports the growth of children and youth
- Makes us happy by reducing isolation and increasing caring and belonging
- Read our Great Neighbours pamphlet (pdf)
This initiative is funded by the Red Deer & District FCSS and facilitated by The City of Red Deer.