From April 1 to May 11, we will be conducting our municipal census. Your participation in the census helps to ensure The City of Red Deer receives its fair share of grant funding, which is impoprtant to support growth and services in our community. In 2014, it is estimated that The City received approximately $185 per person in grants, based on the number of people counted in the census. The municipal census will help The City plan for growth and development, and give us an opportunity to better understand and address the needs of our community.
How to participate
- On April 1, The City of Red Deer will begin hand delivering letters to each resident which will include information about the Census process, a Personal Identification Number (PIN) and instructions on participating online.
- The online tool is easy, convenient, and secure. The PIN numbers assigned are not attached to personal identifying information.
- Residents will be able to participate online from April 1 to midnight on April 19, 2015.
- Those who participate using the online option have the option to enter to win a tablet.
- On April 11, attendees of Let's Talk at Bower Maill can participate in the online census using The City's tablets.
- Residents are able to call the Census Office at 403-342-8317 from April 1 to May 11.
Enumerators collecting information
- On April 20, enumerators will begin knocking on the doors of residents who did not participate in the online option.
- Enumerators will spend approximately three weeks going around Red Deer to collect responses; some enumerators will be using tablets to collect the data.
What we are asking
This year, we are asking:
- Number of people in the household?
- What is the gender and year of birth for each person?
- Does anyone in the household need or prefer The City to communicate with them in a language other than English?
In late July, The City of Red Deer will compile a final report to be released to the public online. The report will include all statistics collected. The 2015 Census report can be found on this page.
Most recent Census results
How often is a census conducted?
As a result of strong growth, a census has been conducted every year since 1999. with the exception of 2012.
What information is usually collected?
Enumerators ask residents how many people live in the household, the gender and year of birth of each person in the household.
Who do I contact to learn more about the Census?
If you would like more information about The City of Red Deer census, contact Legislative Services.
View census results from 2008-2014.