Housing and Homelessness
Community Housing & Homelessness Integrated Plan (CHHIP) Design Labs
Design Labs are your opportunity to have topic specific conversations in the area of Housing & Homelessness. We welcome your information, insight and ideas to help form the new Community Housing & Homelessness Integrated Plan.
Why we are asking for feedback? At the direction of The City of Red Deer City Council, The Committee will coordinate efforts to:
- Guide the community’s efforts around providing integrated housing and supports across the non-market housing spectrum.
- Base the CHHIP on the evaluation on the outcomes of Red Deer’s previous ten-year plan in its recommendations and consider innovative solutions.
- Inform both an updated support services implementation plan and a housing options (i.e., bricks and mortar) plan.
The City administers funding from the federal and provincial governments for affordable housing and homelessness. This involves:
- agreements with the other orders of government.
- preparing and administering requests for proposals when funding is available.
- providing administrative support to the Community Housing Advisory Board, which makes recommendations to City Council on funding decisions.
- preparation and monitoring of contracts to the organizations and developers in the community who implement and fund projects.
From Homeless to Housed 2016/2017 Annual Report
Please read From Homeless to Housed: 2016-2017 Annual Report on Red Deer's Homelessness Initiatives (pdf) to learn more about the community’s success in finding the right housing fit for persons experiencing homelessness.
And be sure to also read the local success stories of persons who have experienced homelessness and are now on the path to more stable housing.
Housing needs and options
The City works with other organizations in the community to identify housing needs and opportunities and develop housing options.
Our goals and implementation plan are outlined in the Everyone’s Home - Five Year Plan to End Homelessness.
Part of how we and our partners get there is outlined in our System Framework for Housing and Supports (pdf)