But we do have some guidelines that you’ll need to follow when building your fence.
- Build your fence on or within your property line. Your Real Property Report can show you where your property lines are.
- Build your backyard fence no taller than 6 feet, 6 inches (2 metres) and your front yard fence (or hedge) no taller than 3 feet (0.9 metres).
- Use safe building materials to build your fence. You can’t use electrified materials, protruding sharpened spikes, broken glass, or barbed wire on your fence.
- Check with your subdivision developer or home builder to see if there are any other architectural controls in your neighbourhood.
- Make sure you have adequate sight lines if you live on a corner lot. You can’t build a fence, grow a hedge, or put any other screening materials that are higher than 3 feet in sight line areas.
Contact Inspections and Licensing for further information regarding fences on corner lots.
For more information, call Inspections & Licensing at 403-342-8190 or visit us on the third floor of City Hall between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.