Secondary Suite Process and Permits
Secondary Suite Building Permit
Prior to applying for a building permit you are required to obtain a Development permit for a secondary suite.
All secondary suites must be constructed to the current edition of Alberta Building Code standard, which include some of the following:
- room and unit separations
- separate heating and ventilation systems
- egress bedroom windows
- separate entrance
- habitable room height
- interconnected smoke alarms
To apply for a building permit for a secondary suite you will need:
- Residential Building Permit Application (pdf)
- 2 floor plans that include:
- all room sizes
- what each room is to be used for
- window sizes
- total square footage
- smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm locations
You may also need:
Here are some things to keep in mind when planning your secondary suite:
- You can only have one suite in your home.
- You must have a separate entrance for your suite.
Occupancy of the secondary suite is not permitted until a valid occupancy permit is approved and issued by the City of Red Deer.
For more information, call Inspections & Licensing at 403-342-8190 or visit us on the third floor of City Hall between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.