2019 Canada Winter Games
- This Capital Budget Briefing Note highlights the projects planned or underway to prepare for the 2019 Canada Winter Games.
- In 2014, Council approved the capital plan related to the 2019 Canada Winter Games facilities that require renovations and construction required to meet technical specifications for the sport they are hosting.
River Bend Recreation Area:
- Upgrades to River Bend Recreation Area were approved by Council in 2014 and include: trail upgrades and construction for cross country ski and a biathlon range.
- Construction will begin this winter on these upgrades.
Great Chief Park:
- The Great Chief Park Enhancement Concept Plan was approved by Council as a planning tool in 2012. The enhancement plan includes the relocation of the long track speed skating oval to Great Chief Park and the use of artificial turf on the football field to extend the usage and season.
- Construction is scheduled to begin this winter on the 400m Olympic and mass start speed skating oval as well as the artificial turf football field.
Canada Winter Games Plaza:
- The approved Canada Winter Games plan included the construction of a permanent physical legacy for the community in the form of a Games Plaza.
- The plaza is intended to host cultural activities and events both prior to, during, and after the 2019 Canada Winter Games.
- Specific details of the plaza have not been confirmed and are being developed in conjunction with the Host Society.
- Canyon Ski Resort will be the home for freestyle and snowboard events.
- Work required at Canyon includes widening and grading the existing runs, slalom course modifications, installation of an elevator and the purchase of snow making equipment.
Red Deer College:
- The City of Red Deer is contributing to the Gary W. Harris Canada Games Centre.
- This facility will be the host facility for short track speed skating and squash.
Budget Requirements, Funding Sources and Council Decision Points
|River Bend Recreation Area||No additional funds required||Combination of City funds, federal and provincial capital grants|
|Great Chief Park||$9,702,000||Combination of City funds, federal and provincial capital grants|
|Canada Winter Games Plaza||$1,448,000||Combination of City funds, federal and provincial capital grants|
|Canyon Ski Hill||$2,065,000||Combination of City funds, federal and provincial capital grants|
|Red Deer College||No additional funds required||Combination of City funds, federal and provincial capital grants|