City Manager Profile
Skills and Experience
- Seasoned municipal manager with extensive training and experience in all facets of municipal management
- Able to provide strong, cohesive leadership to large, multi-disciplinary teams
- Effective liaison between Council, administration and community
- Equips Mayor and Council to make the best and most informed decisions by providing quality information based on the strategic objectives of the municipality as well as current and emerging social, economic and environmental trends
- Solid fiscal track record, supporting smart growth and responsible spending
- Competent, thoughtful leadership on a number of governance boards and committees
- Specializes in effective long-term urban and capital planning, working with elected officials, staff and the public to lay strong foundations for the future in a comprehensive integrated manner
- Successfully coordinates and manages City of Red Deer administration, consisting of 18 departments, covering a full range of municipal services.
- Successfully coordinated and managed City of Owen Sound administration, consisting of seven departments, covering a full range of municipal services.
- Acted as a resource and liaison for a variety of advisory and management boards and societies involved in the delivery of community services.
- Oversaw planning services for all 33 urban municipalities in the Red Deer region, including The City of Red Deer.
- Public and private sector architectural and planning experience
CITY MANAGER, The City of Red Deer - 2007 to present
Responsible for management and oversight of the municipal corporation, which has a staff of 1,500 employees and an annual budget of approximately $500 million.
CITY MANAGER, The Corporation of the City of Owen Sound - 1995 to 2007
Responsible for management and oversight of the municipal corporation, which has a staff of 450 employees and an annual budget of approximately $35 million.
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY SERVICES, The City of Red Deer - 1987 to 1995
Provided leadership to the City of Red Deer’s Recreation and Culture, Parks, Transit and Social Planning Departments with an annual budget of over $14 million.
URBAN PLANNING MANAGER, Red Deer Regional Planning Commission- 1987 to1995
Directly responsible for a staff of 13, including architects, urban planners, and technicians, and assisted the Director in the management of the office as a whole. Involved in:
- Supervising numerous projects, including statutory community plans, open space and recreation studies, and detailed subdivision design.
- Liaising with a large number of municipal councils and making regular presentations to public meetings and community groups throughout the region.
ASSOCIATE PLANNER, Red Deer Regional Planning Commission -1980 to 1984
Responsible for undertaking projects for The City of Red Deer and liaising directly with the public and City Council. Involved in:
- Commenting on development proposals to City Council
- Preparing long-range planning schemes
- Preparing plans for the conservation of natural and cultural heritage resources.
- Responsible for a number of major projects, including the Waskasoo Park Master Plan. This scheme included proposals for the development of a 1,000ha. urban park along the Red Deer River Valley. The project was completed in 1987 and received a number of national and provincial awards.
ASSISTANT CHIEF TOWN PLANNER, Port Elizabeth City Engineer’s Department - 1976 to 1980
Port Elizabeth, South Africa, is a city with a population of approximately 500,000. In this position, as deputy head of the Town Planning Division, assisted the Chief Town Planner with the supervision of the three planning sections. Directly responsible for the control of the Forward Planning Section, which consisted of a multi-disciplinary team of 16 persons, including town planners, architects and technicians.
ARCHITECT/URBAN DESIGNER, Cape Town, South Africa - 1974 to 1976
Worked on a variety of architectural and planning projects in both the private sector and local government.
- United Way Central Alberta, Campaign Co-Chair, Red Deer - 2015-2017
- Alberta Urban Municipalities Association, Municipal Government Act Review Committee - 2012
- Ontario Cultural Advisory Committee, AMO Representative, Executive Member - 2004 to 2005
- Alberta Multiculturalism Commission, Board Member - 1990 to 1993 Appointed to the Commission by the Minister of Culture and Multiculturalism in December 1990 and completed my term in 1993.
- Alberta Cultural Heritage Foundation, Director/Chairman – 1983 to 1988 Appointed by the Minister of Alberta Culture as a Director of the Alberta Cultural Heritage Foundation in 1983 and as Chairman in 1985. The Foundation was a Crown Corporation with the dual objective of preserving and promoting Alberta’s cultural heritage. Responsible to the Minister for administering an annual budget of $1,650,000 from lottery revenues.
- B. Arch Bachelor of Architecture, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- M.C.P.U.D. Master of City Planning and Urban Design, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Executive Development Program, University of Calgary, Faculty of Management
- Member, Canadian Association of Municipal Administrators (C.A.M.A.)
- Member, Alberta Recreation and Parks Association (A.R.P.A.)
- Member, Canadian Institute of Planners (C.I.P.)
- Member, Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (R.A.I.C.)
- Member, Institute of South African Architects (I.S.A.A.)
- AUMA Municipal Sustainability Award, Governance - 2015
- AUMA Municipal Sustainability Award, Environmental Master Plan - 2013
- AUMA Dedicated CAO Award - 2013
- Alberta’s 50 Most Influential People, Alberta Venture Magazine - 2012
- Best Practice in Public Spaces, International Downtown Association - 2012, Veterans’ Park
- AUMA Municipal Sustainability Award, Community Innovator Award - 2011
- Project of the Year Award, Alberta Public Works Association - 2009, Red Deer Civic Yards
- Award of Distinction, International Downtown Association - 2009, Greater Downtown Action Plan
- AUMA Minister’s Award for Municipal Excellence - 2008, Drinking Establishment Licensing Bylaw
- Cultural Capital of Canada Award - 2004, National award, Owen Sound
- Lee Symmes Environmental Award - 2003, Presented by Federation of Ontario Naturalists, Owen Sound
- Winter Lights Celebration - 2003, National Champion 20,001 to 50,000 population category, Owen Sound
- Communities in Bloom: Provincial Awards, Owen Sound - 2003, Provincial Champions: 5 Bloom Award - Honourable Mention: Floral Display
- Winter Lights Celebration - 2002, National Champions 20,001 to 50,000 population category, Owen Sound
- A. E. Danby Award – Association of Municipal Clerks & Treasurers Association - 1997, OSCARS Program and Service Analysis
- National Work and Well Being Award: Canadian Mental Health Association - 1996, OSCARS Program, Owen Sound
- Environmental Award – Canadian Association of Municipal Administrators - 1993, Biological Mosquito Control Program, Red Deer
- A.V. Pettigrew Award – A.R.P.A. Awards Program - 1991, Kerry Wood Nature Centre, Red Deer
- CP/RA Facility Excellence Award - 1990, Kerry Wood Nature Centre, Red Deer
- Alberta Planning Award – A.A.C.I.P. Awards Program - 1987, Gaetz Lakes Sanctuary, Red Deer
- Alberta Planning Award – A.A.C.I.P. Awards Program - 1986, Red Deer Downtown Concept