Mayor Tara Veer
c/o Box 5008
Red Deer, AB T4N 3T4
Tara is a proud born and raised Red Deerian and has consistently demonstrated herself as a strong community builder and advocate for her fellow Red Deerians.
- Re-elected as Mayor in 2017
- Elected as Mayor in 2013
- Elected to City Council in 2004, 2007 and 2010
Council Leadership Positions
- Municipal Planning Commission, Chair 2013 - present
- Audit Committee, Elected Chair, 2009-2013
- Nomination Committee, Elected Chair, 2009-2011
- Central Alberta Waste Commission, Elected Vice-Chair, 2013
- Inter-City Forum on Social Policy, Elected Vice-Chair, 2012
Government Leadership Appointments
- Appointed by the former Mayor of The City of Red Deer to the Red Deer Native Friendship Society Joint Negotiations Committee, Co-Chair 2012 to 2013, also member from 2016 to current.
- Appointed by the Chair of Inter-City Forum on Social Policy to the Alberta Action to End Poverty Advisory Committee, 2012 to 2013
- Appointed by Minister of Municipal Affairs to the Alberta Affordable Housing Task Force, 2007
Community Building Leadership Positions
- Establishing Central Alberta Advocacy Centre: Community Advisory Member, 2015 to 2017.
- Immigrant Women’s Economic Security Project: Central Alberta Immigrant Women’s Association in Partnership with Status of Women Canada, Elected Chair, 2012 to 2014
- Establishing Youth Addictions Treatment Centre for Red Deer: Community Advisory Committee Member for McMann Services, 2011 to 2013
- Tara is an active supporter of many local charities in both her private and public life. Over the past Council term she has personally volunteered to help raise funds for causes such as: Aspire Special Needs Resource Centre, Central Alberta Women's Outreach, RDC Athletics, Central Alberta Child Advocacy Centre, Central Alberta Sexual Assault Centre, and Big Brothers Big Sisters of Red Deer.
Council Committee & Community Board Experience
Over the course of her elected representative, Tara has actively served terms on all of the following committees & boards:
- Westerner Board
- Tourism Red Deer
- River Bend Golf & Recreation Society
- Downtown Business Association
- Parkland Community Planning Services
- Environmental Advisory Board
- Waskasoo Environmental Education Society
- Emergency Management Committee
- Policing Committee
- Heritage Preservation Committee
- Museum & Art Gallery
- Public Art Jury
- Library Board
- Centennial Celebrations Committee
- Community Housing Advisory Board
- Family & Community Support Services
- Graduated from Queen's University with a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology with Honours (major concentration in Criminology)
- Studied Sociology at Red Deer College
- Graduated River Glen Senior High School as class Valedictorian
Awards & Recognitions
- Voted in the Red Deer Advocate People's Choice Awards as Favourite Local Politician" in 2017
- Voted in the Red Deer Express People's Choice Awards as a "Most Beloved Red Deerian" in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.
- Voted in the Red Deer Express People's Choice Awards as Gold "Favourite City Councillor" in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013
- Voted in the Red Deer Express People's Choice Awards as "Favourite Local Politician" in 2014, 2015, and 2016
- Governor General’s Medal for Highest Scholastic Standing
- Alberta Heritage Alexander Rutherford Scholarship for Exceptional Academic Achievement
- Tara is an avid reader, willing volunteer and compassionate youth mentor.
- Tara is committed to healthy and active living, and can be found in-line skating or running through Red Deer's trails in her (occasional) spare time.
- Tara is a lifelong learner and pursues new challenges as a way of life, her latest accomplishment being an A+ in Canadian History through Queen's University. Her next goal is to be bilingual by the 2019 Canada Winter Games.
- Above all, Tara's favourite way to invest time is with her loved ones.