Composting at Home Program
2018 Composting at Home Program
Registration has ended for the 2018 Composting at Home program. Click here to be notified when the 2019 program opens. You will be asked to answer some questions, and in the Event Registration section select the "
About the Composting at Home Program
The Composting at Home Program teaches residents how to compost in their own back yards. The program is offered free of charge, and participants are provided with a compost bin, aerating tool and kitchen catcher, plus training and ongoing support on how to compost. To participate in the program you must:
- Live in the City of Red Deer
- Not be currently composting but want to learn how, and not participated previously in the program
- Attend a 2.5 hour workshop
- Commit to compost for one year
- Report on results as requested by The City
- Have a ground-level outdoor space under your control where you can compost
Composting at Home can be done together with the Green Cart program. Things like meat, dairy and pet waste that can't go in the backyard composter can be put in the Green Cart.
Learn more about composting by reading our How To Videos and Resources information.
Composting at Home Pilot Program
72 per cent of the pilot program participants were still actively composting one year later. We trained 549 people to compost, and diverted about 38 tonnes of organic waste from the landfill. Composting at Home - Pilot Project final report (pdf)