Development Permits

Find out when you need a development permit and how to apply for one.

You may need a development permit if you are:

  • Constructing a new residential, commercial or industrial building
  • Altering an existing building
  • Changing the use of an existing building
  • Constructing an accessory building
  • Constructing a secondary suite
  • Applying for a discretionary use
  • Putting up a temporary structure

To apply for a Development Permit you will need one of the following applications:

You may also need:

Here are some things to keep in mind when planning your development:

  • Your application will be reviewed by the Development Authority, which may take between eight to 10 weeks.
  • There is a 14-day appeal period following the approval of your application, where the decision or its conditions may be appealed.
  • If your application is denied, you may appeal to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board.

For more information, call Inspections & Licensing at 403-342-8190 or visit us on the third floor of City Hall between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

News & Notices

The City turns off the lights to ...

March 22, 2017

Red Deerians are encouraged to turn off their lights for one hour on Saturday to conserve energy and raise awareness of climate change in celebration of Earth Hour.