Who can apply?
A homeowner, contractor or anyone authorized to do so on behalf of the owner of the property can apply for a building permit for your hot tub or pool. If you are not the owner of the property you will need to submit a Letter of Authorization (pdf) .
How do I apply?
You can apply for your permit by filling out a paper application and submitting your application and the required documents listed on the Miscellaneous Application Requirement List (pdf) in person by visiting Inspections & Licensing on the third floor of City Hall (4914 - 48 Avenue) between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
What else should I know?
It may take up to three weeks for an application to be processed. In addition to the documents listed in the Miscellaneous Application Requirement List (pdf) please submit:
- site plan showing the proposed location of the hot tub or pool on the property including all distances to the property lines (side and rear). Hot tubs must be located a minimum of 0.9 metres (3 feet) from side and rear property lines.
- dimensions of the hot tub or pool
- if the hot tub is to be located on a deck, engineered structural plans of the deck are required
- the type of hot tub or pool covering including the locking mechanism. If there is no locking mechanism on the cover, you must have all of the following:
- a 6 foot high fence around the pool or hot tub
- locked gate(s) that are the same height as the fence
- gate(s) equipped with self closing device(s)
Swimming pools deeper than 2 feet require a building permit.
All construction must comply with Alberta Building Code. For safety code information, contact a Safety Codes Officer at 403-342-8190 or visit us on the third floor of City Hall between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
What inspections will I need?
You will need a final inspection upon completion.
Any deficiencies identified during the inspection will need to be corrected. Re-inspections or a verification of compliance (written completion notification) may be required. Re-inspection fees or other penalties may apply.