Red Deer, Alberta – Red Deer RCMP have partnered once again with Alberta Motor Association (AMA) to distribute “All Valuables Removed” placards that the public can place in their vehicles to deter thefts. Thefts from vehicles is an issue that’s top of mind for Red Deerians right now, and RCMP would like to remind drivers that there are a few actions they can take to make themselves a less attractive target to opportunistic thieves.
Over 500 “All Valuables Removed” placards have been distributed by the RCMP and are available to the public at the following Red Deer locations:
- Port O Call Safeway – 4408 50 Avenue
- Sobey’s Gaetz South – 2210 50 Avenue
- Fas Gas Plus in West Park – 4305 55 Avenue
- Save on Foods East Hill – 3020 22 Street
“The placards serve two purposes – first, they tell thieves that the vehicle owner has taken the time to protect their belongings, and so the thief will be wasting their time and energy on this vehicle,” says Constable Kelly Crites of the Red Deer RCMP. “Second, the placards are a useful reminder to people to actually remove valuables and place tempting items out of sight every time they leave their vehicle.”
Items commonly stolen from vehicles include purses and wallets, laptops, tools, shopping bags, CDs, electronics, cell phones and personal documents.
Protect yourself while shopping:
- Avoid parking in poorly lit areas at night
- Store your purchases in the trunk or out of sight
- If you plan to continue shopping after storing bags in your trunk, move your vehicle so thieves watching for opportunities will think you’ve left
- Place an “All Valuables Removed” placard on your dash or in the drivers’ window
- Lock your vehicle
- Do not leave purses, wallets, cell phones or papers with personal information on them in your vehicle
- Do not leave spare keys in your vehicle
“All Valuables Removed” are also usually available throughout the year at AMA.
Cst. Kelly Crites
Red Deer RCMP