Red Deer, Alberta – Red Deer RCMP have made a number of arrests for property crimes in the past five days, and many of those taken into custody were further wanted on outstanding warrants.
Red Deer RCMP located a suspect in breach of a court-imposed curfew shortly before 2 am on February 18 at a gas station in the Deer Park neighbourhood; as the suspect attempted to evade police, he drove into a parking lot post and then attempted to flee on foot before being arrested by police. The suspect was in breach of a number of court-imposed conditions at the time of his arrest.
26 year old Bernard Michael Sontheim faces the following charges:
- Criminal Code 252 – Fail to remain at the scene of an accident
- Criminal Code 129(a) – Obstruct peace officer
- Criminal Code 145(3) – Fail to comply with conditions X 2
Sontheim made his first court appearance on February 21 and appeared again in court in Red Deer at 1:30 pm today.
While responding to a report of a disturbance at an apartment on 48 Street shortly after noon on February 20, RCMP located a male suspect who was wanted on four outstanding warrants out of Blackfalds for break and enter, possession of stolen property and identity theft (X2). The suspect was taken into custody without incident, but subsequently attempted to flee police officers while handcuffed, as he was being escorted to the police vehicle. Police caught him after a very brief foot chase and returned him to custody.
36 year old Cory Justin McGregor faces the following charges in addition to the four warrant charges:
- Criminal Code 403(1)(d) – Personation to avoid arrest
- Criminal Code 145(1)(a) – Attempt to escape from lawful custody
McGregor appeared in court in Red Deer on February 22 at 9:30 am.
On February 21, RCMP arrested a man who was wanted on numerous outstanding warrants for various property crimes between October of 2016 and February of 2017, as well as for failing to appear in court to face those charges.
46 year old Joel David Bremner faces the following charges:
- Criminal Code 348(1)(a) – Break and enter with intent to commit indictable offence
- Criminal Code 145(5) – Fail to appear in court X 2
- Criminal Code 355(b) – Possession of stolen property under $5,000
- Criminal Code 430(4) – Mischief under $5,000
Bremner has been remanded and will appear in court in Red Deer on February 23 at 9:30 am.
At approximately 8:30 am on February 21, Red Deer RCMP arrested a suspect after receiving a report from the public of a residential break and enter in progress in the Johnstone neighbourhood. The suspect was wanted on an outstanding warrant for failing to comply with an undertaking.
28 year old Louis Preston Berry faces the following charges in addition to the outstanding warrant:
- CDSA 4(1) – Possession of Schedule 1 substance
- Criminal Code 117.01(1) – Possession of ammunition while prohibited from doing so
- Criminal Code 88(1) – possession of dangerous weapon
- Criminal Code 56.1 – Possession of identity documents belonging to another
Berry made his first court appearance in Red Deer on February 22.
At 2 am on February 22, RCMP initiated a traffic stop, but the suspect vehicle attempted to evade police by speeding away and then turning on to a side street. The suspect car struck a parked vehicle and the driver then attempted to flee the scene on foot; he was arrested immediately by RCMP and found to be in possession of counterfeit currency.
27 year old Brandon Wallner faces the following charges:
- Criminal Code 129(a) – Resist/ obstruct peace officer
- Criminal Code 253(1)(a) – Impaired care or control of a motor vehicle by drug
- Criminal Code 450(b) – Possession of counterfeit money
- TSA 54(1)(a) – Drive without insurance
Wallner made his first appearance in court in Red Deer on February 22.
Cpl. Karyn Kay
Red Deer RCMP