The final step of the 67 Street/Johnstone Drive roundabout is to complete the top lift of asphalt paving on 67 Street east and west of the roundabout. Once this work is complete, we don’t anticipate any further major road or lane closures. There will still be some minor work to finish up, including lane markings and landscaping; however, this should only result in intermittent lane closures.
In order to complete the paving, we’re planning lane closures on 67 Street on Saturday, August 26 as follows:
Paving east of the roundabout:
- At approximately 6 a.m., the intersection of 67 Street and Golden West will close.
- Eastbound traffic on 67 Street will be detoured on Johnstone Drive to Taylor Drive.
- Westbound traffic on 67 Street will be detoured on Golden West Ave and 71 St to Johnstone Drive. Right turns from westbound 67 Street to Golden West Ave will be permitted.
Paving west of the roundabout:
- When work at 67 Street and Golden West is complete the intersection will re-open and paving west of the roundabout will begin; the westbound lanes of 67 Street from west of the roundabout to the QE2 overpass will close.
- Westbound traffic wanting to access QE2 or westbound Highway 11 will be required to use 32 Street or Highway 11A.
- The roundabout will remain open for northbound, southbound and eastbound traffic.
- When paving is complete on the westbound lanes, both the eastbound and westbound lanes will close for a period of time while preparations are made to pave the eastbound lanes and the asphalt in the westbound lanes cool.
- The westbound lanes will then open and the eastbound lanes will remain closed from the QE2 overpass to west of the roundabout while paving of the eastbound lanes is completed.
- Eastbound traffic wanting to enter the city will be required to detour on 32 Street or Highway 11A.
- The roundabout will be open for all turning movements.
The schedule is dependent on weather conditions. In case of inclement weather, the road closure will be rescheduled to Sunday, August 27.
Throughout the day dynamic message boards will be used to update drivers on the closures and direct them through the detours. We will also be posting updates on The City’s social media channels.
Detour maps are available on our website at www.reddeer.ca/construction.