Water Service Lines

A water pipe, also known as a water service line, is the way water is delivered to each property in Red Deer. The water pipe can be thought of as two sections:

From the Water Main to the Property Line

This part of the pipe is owned and maintained by us. All water pipes and devices outside the property line are the responsibility of The City of Red Deer. That includes things like water mains, water main valves and the outside service valve/standpipe. We are responsible for all repairs to these lines and devices.

From the Property Line to your Property

This part of the pipe is owned and maintained by the owner. The owner is responsible for the water pipe that leads from their property to the outside service valve/standpipe (which is usually located at or near the property line). The owner is responsible for the main shut-off valve that is normally located inside their property. Repair of all piping inside of the property, with the exception of the water meter, is also the responsibility of the owner.

Property Lines

In most cases, the property line ends a few metres from the edge of the curb or sidewalk. The legal survey completed when the property was built or purchased shows where the property line is located. If you don’t have this information, you may have to contact your original builder. The original plumbing/gas contractor may also have information on water piping on your private property. If your property is older and you can no longer obtain this information you may need to contact a private locating company.

The diagram below shows the areas of responsibility. Note the outside water service valve is placed very close to the property line, but is not always on our side, however The City owns it.

Water Service Lines Graphic