Culture and Community Development
“Arts and culture make considerable and necessary contributions to the well-being of communities. Arts and culture are powerful tools with which to engage communities in various levels of change. They are a means to public dialogue, contribute to the development of a community’s creative learning, create healthy communities capable of action, provide a powerful tool for community mobilization and activism, and help build community capacity and leadership.”
-- Creative City Network of Canada
Arts, culture and heritage is thriving in Red Deer, making Red Deer a desirable place to live. The City of Red Deer, Culture Services aims to provide community development and support services to the arts, culture and heritage groups of Red Deer.
Community arts, culture and heritage groups can seek support from the community development staff in the following areas:
- The development of sustainable programs for members and residents of Red Deer.
- Consultation on potential funding sources, grant application review and municipal letters of support.
- Board development training and workshops for board members.
- Access to the Culture Services Resource Library that contains books on event planning, financial management, programming, board operations and many other topics relevant to not-for-profit groups.
- Special event planning.
- Marketing and sponsorship development.
- Initiating collaborative efforts with other community partners.
To receive support in any of these areas, please contact Culture Services at 403-309-4091 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arts Tools for Community Development
Traditional communication, consultation, and engagement tools depend heavily on words. But not everyone feels comfortable with them. Arts-based tools can help communities move beyond words.