The City's Involvement
The City's Involvement in the 2019 Canada Winter Games
The City undertook a number of projects in order to host the 2019 Canada Winter Games, including:
- Setters Place at Great Chief Park: Opened in early 2018 and will host long track speed skating during the Games.
- River Bend Golf and Recreation Area: Trails were upgraded to better host cross country skiing and biathlon competitions.
- Servus Arena: The brand new Servus Arena replaced the former Red Deer Arena, and will host both men's and women's hockey during Games time.
- Gary W. Harris Celebration Plaza / Central Middle School: In partnership with Red Deer Public Schools and the 2019 Canada Winter Games, The City of Red Deer acquired Central Intermediate School and lands. This site is the home of the 2019 Canada Winter Games Host Society, and will feature the 52 degree North Music + Cultural Festival throughout the Games.
- Gary W. Harris Canada Games Centre: The City of Red Deer is also a proud contributor to the Gary W. Harris Canada Games Centre at Red Deer College, which opened August 22, 2018. It will host Badminton, Figure Skating, Short Track Speed Skating, Squash and Wheelchair Basketball.
All of these projects improve recreation for Red Deerians, and leave Red Deer with a lasting legacy to host future sporting events. With the significant capital improvements to our Recreation, Parks and Culture facilities, there are enhanced recreational and cultural opportunities for our citizens.
The Games will provide an economic boost of over $100M to our region, bringing in 100,000 spectators to our City. We will also have the opportunity to capitalize on the national profile Red Deer will receive during the broadcast of The 2019 Canada Winter Games.