February 2016 News Archive

Subscribe RSS Feed Email

Emergency Services warns of overloaded extension cords

February 4, 2016 11:07 AM
(Red Deer, Alberta)

A minor incident at a local hotel yesterday could have been much worse had it not happened during regular business hours. A café at the Sheraton Hotel had many appliances plugged into an extension cord, overloading the cord and causing a minor fire.

Red Deer Emergency Services was called around 3:45 p.m. on Wednesday. The incident created some minor smoke and scorched a nearby wall, causing about $500 in damages. The hotel did not require evacuation.

Red Deer Emergency Services says a number of businesses wrongly treat extension cords as permanent wiring, when they are not intended to be, and run the risk of major property damage and injury.

Red Deer Emergency Services recommends businesses remove any extension cords acting as permanent wiring, and restrict such cords to short-term uses. Businesses should also ensure they’re using the right kind of cord for the job, and consider hiring a qualified electrician to add additional circuits or outlets if needed.

­For more information, please contact:

Josh Mah
Fire Prevention Officer
Red Deer Emergency Services
403-346-5511

Communications & Strategic Planning
The City of Red Deer
403-342-8147

- end -