January 2016 News Archive

Subscribe RSS Feed Email

Discarded cigarette causes fire in Oriole Park

January 20, 2016 4:41 PM
(Red Deer, Alberta)

Red Deer Emergency Services responded to a fully involved house fire on Oberlin Avenue today at approximately 11:30 a.m.

One person was home at the time of the fire, but no injuries were reported.

The fire originated at the outside rear of the house and quickly spread to the interior of the house. The suspected cause of the fire is the careless disposal of cigarettes, which is one of the leading causes of house fires.

Damage was extensive and is estimated to be $400,000.

Emergency Services reminds the public to keep fire safety in mind:

  • Call 911 as soon if you see smoke or flames and leave the building immediately.
  • Always dispose of cigarettes properly. Use large, deep ashtrays that cannot be knocked over.
  • Never dispose of cigarettes in planters or other vegetation, as they can smoulder and catch fire. Never empty smoking materials directly into a trash can.

For more information, please contact:

Wes Van Bavel
Fire Prevention Officer
Red Deer Emergency Services
403-588-9994

Communications & Strategic Planning
The City of Red Deer
403-342-8147

- end -