The roundabout at 67 Street and 30 Avenue will partially open Friday morning at 7 a.m. for traffic in all directions. Range Road 272 (30 Avenue) will also re-open to traffic.
Only one lane of the two-lane roundabout will be open, and access will be as follows:
- From northbound 30 Avenue, drivers will access the roundabout from a temporary road on the 67 Street/30 Avenue bend. 67 Street west of this access road will be closed.
- From eastbound 67 Street, drivers will access the roundabout from the new 67 Street extension (one lane in each direction only). There’s a dedicated turn lane for traffic turning right onto 30 Avenue from 67 Street, meaning drivers don’t have to enter the roundabout.
“This is the first look at the roundabout for many drivers, but it isn’t the final configuration,” said Wayne Gustafson, Engineering Services Manager. “It will function like a roundabout, but initially only one of the two lanes will be open while we continue construction.”
Drivers should follow these basic steps to use the roundabout in its current configuration:
- Slow down and watch for signage in the area. Directional signage will help you understand how to access your destination.
- As you approach the roundabout, signal like you would at a regular intersection: signal left if you’re turning left, signal right if you’re turning right.
- Look left and yield to traffic in the roundabout; only stop if necessary and proceed slowly when safe. Always yield to pedestrians.
- Signal right as you approach your exit.
For more information about using roundabouts, please visit www.roundabout.how.
“We know this is a big change for drivers and there will be delays while everyone adjusts to the new traffic pattern,” said Gustafson. “Drivers are also reminded to use caution as this is still an active construction site.”
Carleton Avenue at 67 Street will remain closed until early July for final connection of the new 67 Street extension with the roundabout. When this work is complete, Carrington Drive at 30 Avenue will close for crews to connect 30 Avenue with the roundabout.
The 67 Street / 30 Avenue Expansion Project involves the extension of 30 Avenue north, 67 Street east, and the construction of a modern two-lane roundabout where they intersect, northeast of Clearview Market. The modern roundabout will accommodate future growth in northeast Red Deer, improve traffic flow, decrease congestion and improve traffic safety for all road users.
More information about this project is at http://www.reddeer.ca/city-services/roads/construction-season/67-street30-avenue-expansion-project/.
For more information, please contact:
Engineering Services Manager
The City of Red Deer
Communications & Strategic Planning
The City of Red Deer