An exciting arrival ceremony for the Memorial Cup will take place downtown on Thursday, May 19. Red Deerians are invited to witness the delivery of the Cup to Central Middle School via military helicopter followed by its journey to Veterans’ Park accompanied by military parade. A short ceremony will start at noon and will be marked by the firing of a howitzer cannon.
Residents are advised there will be increased noise levels in the area due to the helicopters and the howitzer cannon.
The following road closures will be in effect:
- 48 Avenue, from 52 Street to Ross Street, will be closed from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- 48 Avenue (Northbound lane only), from 49 Street to Ross Street, will be closed from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Ross Street, from 47 Avenue to 48 Avenue, will be closed from 11 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
- Detour north and south on 47 Avenue
- RCMP at Ross Street and 48 Avenue to allow left turns south on to 48 Avenue
- Ross Street, from 49 Avenue to 50 (Little Gaetz) Avenue, will be closed from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- A temporary closure will be in place on Ross Street, from 48 Avenue to 49 Avenue, from the start of the parade until after the blast of the howitzer cannon.
For more information on the MasterCard Memorial Cup tournament, visit www.mastercardmemorialcup.ca.
For more information, contact:
Communications & Strategic Planning
The City of Red Deer