April 2017 News Archive

Subscribe RSS Feed Email

House fire in Morrisroe under investigation

April 28, 2017 6:28 PM
(Red Deer, Alberta)

Red Deer Emergency Services responded to a house fire on McFarland Street today at approximately 3:30 a.m.

Three people were home at the time of the fire, but no injuries were reported.

The fire originated in the detached garage and quickly spread to the exterior of the house. The suspected cause of the fire is the careless disposal of oily rags. The detached garage did not have a fire alarm.

Damage was extensive and is estimated to be $530,000.

Emergency Services reminds the public to keep fire safety in mind:

  • Call 911 as soon if you see smoke or flames and leave the building immediately.
  • A working smoke alarm can save a life. Batteries should be changed at least once a year or when your smoke alarm gives off a faint beep every few minutes.
  • Always dispose of oily rags and other flammable materials in a non-combustible container with a lid. Safe containers can be purchased at safety supply stores. Oily rags may also be hung out to dry or placed and sealed in paint cans.
  • Always dispose of cigarettes properly. Use large, deep ashtrays that cannot be knocked over. Never use planters or other vegetation, as they can smolder and catch fire. Never empty smoking materials directly into a trash can.

For more information, please contact:

Brad Legere

Fire Prevention Officer

Red Deer Emergency Services

403-346-5511

 

Communications & Strategic Planning

The City of Red Deer

403-342-8147

- end -