On Monday’s scheduled council meeting, City Council will consider amending the approved 2014 River Bend Trail Development Canada Winter Games Project to allow for additional changes to the cross-country ski trails.
In 2014, Council approved a $729,000 plan to enhance and upgrade the trails at River Bend Golf and Recreation Area to meet technical requirements to host biathlon and cross country skiing during the 2019 Canada Winter Games. Approved upgrades include widening 5.5 kilometers of the existing 14.5 kilometers of trails, developing a stadium area and renovating the biathlon range.
Parkland Ski Club (PSC) has identified additional trail enhancements beyond the scope of the 2019 Canada Winter Games project that include:
- Widening portions of additional trails to meet modern sporting requirements, including skate skiing and multi-use traffic (skiing, biking, walking and snowshoeing).
- Creating new trail connections to reduce the need for skiers to cross the River Bend roadway.
- Brushing and base work on existing trails to improve snow accumulation and drainage.
- Improving sightlines for enhanced safety on portions of downhill trails.
- Installing trail lighting to extend trail use and accessibility in the morning and evenings.
“These additional upgrades, including the widening of trails to allow for multi-use, will enhance the recreational opportunities for Red Deerians, while also expanding the capacity of this venue to host regional and provincial cross-country skiing events,” said Barb McKee, Recreation Superintendent.
PSC has applied to receive provincial grant funding to cover the construction cost of these additional upgrades. City Council will consider amending the 2014 River Bend Trail Development Canada Winter Games Project subject to PSC receiving grant funding.
For more information, and to see the proposed changes, visit http://www.reddeer.ca/recreation-and-culture/parks-and-trails/cross-country-ski-trails/.
For more information, please contact:
The City of Red Deer
Communications & Strategic Planning
The City of Red Deer