An Edmonton-based, door-to-door sales company must pay $15,000 for three tickets it received from The City of Red Deer for operating without a business license.
A number of complaints about Eco Global were reported to The City and RCMP in 2016 by Red Deer residents, stating sales representatives were coming to their doors to sell residential hot water heaters and water filtration systems while misrepresenting themselves as being associated with The City.
Eco Global applied for and received five business licenses in October 2016. Those licenses were revoked by The City just days later based on the volume of complaints received and the context of the concerns identified. The company appealed the revocation in November 2016 but The Red Deer Review and Appeal Board upheld the decision to have the business licenses revoked.
More complaints were reported by residents in December 2016 when Eco Global representatives were found to be going door to door once again, targeting primarily seniors with aggressive sales tactics and misleading residents into thinking Eco Global was there on behalf of The City or Province.
Citizens are reminded to protect themselves when dealing with door to door salespeople:
- Do not let strangers into your home unless they have displayed their business license and identification; even then, it is always your right to refuse to allow them entry.
- Never provide personal information (bank account information, bills, SIN, date of birth, credit card numbers or PIN) at the door or over the phone, unless you have initiated the business relationship.
- Citizens can also call Inspections & Licensing at 403-342-8182 to verify if a business has a license.
- Research a business and ask questions before making a transaction.
- Avoid high-pressure sales tactics and immediate decisions.
- Report wrongdoing or suspect behaviour to RCMP at 403-343-5575.
The City of Red Deer welcomes businesses that operate legally, ethically and according to municipal bylaws. Companies found to be in contravention of bylaws can be refused a license, have a license revoked, and/or incur tickets and penalties.
For more information, please contact:
Inspections & Licensing Manager
The City of Red Deer
Communications & Strategic Planning
The City of Red Deer