Red Deer, Alberta – A 22 year old Red Deer man was arrested seven days after he fled from the Red Deer RCMP in a stolen truck, having rammed two police vehicles, a garbage truck and two civilian vehicles.
On February 2 at approximately 4 pm, Red Deer RCMP responded to a report of a suspicious truck in a parking lot at 60 Street and 51 Avenue. RCMP confirmed the truck had been stolen out of Red Deer the day before. Police laid two tire deflation devices at the parking lot exit before approaching the parked truck, which then accelerated toward the police officers, narrowly missing striking them. The truck drove over the tire deflation devices then turned toward the police cruisers, ramming two of them and a waste disposal truck that was also in the parking lot.
The truck fled east on 60 Street then north onto 50 Avenue, driving on two flattened tires. The driver refused to stop for police, running a red light at 61 Street and colliding with two civilian vehicles that were stopped at the light. Police did not initiate a pursuit for public safety reasons. Fortunately, no one was injured in this series of collisions and near-collisions.
The stolen Ford F350 was located abandoned a short time later in an alley near Newton Crescent. However, RCMP identified the driver of the truck almost immediately in the course of their investigation and issued multiple warrants for his arrest. Edmonton Police Service arrested him on February 9.
22 year old Jared Michael Lee McLeod of Red Deer faces the following charges:
- Criminal Code 270.01(a) – Assault on police officer with weapon
- Criminal Code 430(3) – Mischief over $5,000 X 2
- Criminal Code 430(4) – Mischief under $5,000
- Criminal Code 249.1(1) – Flight from police
- Criminal Code 249(1)(a) – Dangerous operation of motor vehicle
- Criminal Code 355(a) – Possession of stolen property over $5,000
- Criminal Code 355(b) – Possession of stolen property under $5,000 X 3
- Criminal Code 88(1) – Possession of weapon for dangerous purpose (bear spray)
- Criminal Code 733.1(1) – Fail to comply with probation order
- TSA 69(1)(a) – Fail to remain at scene of collision
- TSA 54(1) – Run a red light
McLeod will appear in Alberta Provincial Court in Red Deer on February 11.
Red Deer RCMP