Composting at Home Program
2020 Composting at Home Program
The program has been postponed for 2020, but you can sign up here to receive an email when registration opens. You will be asked to answer some questions, and in the Event Registration section select the "Yes, notify me when the program opens Composting at Home 2020
About the Composting at Home Program
The program gives residents all the tools and training they need to start composting in their own back yards. It is free of charge, and participants are provided with a compost bin, aerating tool and kitchen catcher, plus training and ongoing support on how to compost. To participate in the program you must:
- Live in the city of Red Deer
- Not be currently composting but want to learn how, and not participated previously in the program
- Attend a 2.5 hour workshop
- Commit to compost for one year
- Report on results as requested by The City
- Have a ground-level outdoor space under your control where you can compost
- Agree to post a 12x16 inch lawn sign on your property
Composting at Home can be done together with the Green Cart program. Things like meat, dairy and pet waste that can't go in the backyard composter can be put in the Green Cart.
Learn more about composting by reading our How To Videos and Resources information.