My Property Tax
How to pay:
- Online or in person through your financial institution. Payments must be received by The City by the due date. Check with your institution for their processing times, which can often be 3-5 business days!
- By mail. Payments will be applied as per the Canada Post mark date and should be directed to The City of Red Deer Box 5008 Red Deer, AB T4N 3T4.
- Through your mortgage lender. You may choose to arrange payments through your mortgage lender. Contact your lender for details.
- Tax Instalment Plan (TIP). Monthly withdrawals will continue for accounts currently enrolled on the TIP program. For accounts not enrolled, applications can be submitted up until June 15, 2021, provided the account is at a zero balance. Applications can be completed on the TIP webpage.
- In Person at City Hall – You can pay taxes in person by cash, debit card or cheque. If paying by debit card, please check your transaction limits prior to coming to City Hall. Payment can be made at the Cashiers on the main floor, office hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Where do my taxes go?
Even though property tax dollars are collected in Red Deer, it doesn't all stay here. Under provincial legislation, The City must collect property taxes on behalf of Alberta Education and Bridges Community Living to pay for education and affordable seniors housing.
Red Deer’s Tax Timelines
The City of Red Deer's assessment and tax timeline is as follows:
January: Property Assessment Notices mailed
Mid-March: Property assessment appeals must be received by the clerk of the Assessment Review Board
April: Council sets the tax rates
May 10: Property tax notices mailed
June 30: Property tax payment deadline
July: 3.5% Penalty applied to any outstanding current balance and a 3% Penalty applied to any outstanding arrears balance