Yesterday the provincial government announced new public health measures for communities under enhanced relaunch status, which includes Red Deer. From November 13 - 27, 2020 all group and aquatic fitness classes, group singing, dancing and performing activities, team sport activities, and group swimming lessons are suspended.
“We know this two-week pause is difficult, especially as the weather turns colder and we look for ways to stay active,” said Barb McKee, Recreation Superintendent, “Recreation and culture are important to our mental and emotional wellbeing, and we encourage participation in other activities as it is safe to do so.”
Activities and programs affected by the suspension include:
- Indoor group fitness classes (spin, yoga, cardio, strength classes)
- Aquatic fitness classes (aquafit)
- Group swimming lessons
- Team sport activities such as practices, games and competition
- Singing, dancing and performing arts programs (e.g., Tiny Toes Ballet)
Many activities and programs are continuing to run during this time, these include:
- Individual sports, exercise, training or equipment use (e.g., use of the fitness areas, gymnasium, field house, individual tennis, pickleball, badminton and basketball shot practice)
- Use of the walking tracks
- Public swimming and skating
- Access to hot tubs, steam room, saunas and waterslides
- Lane swimming
- Private swimming lessons
- Preschool programs
- Wall Climbing and Bouldering
- Aquatic Leadership (i.e. Bronze Cross)
A variety of pre-recorded fitness classes, led by City of Red Deer staff, can be found online here.
Residents with Activity Reservations between November 13-27 will receive an email from The City with further information. Monthly pass holders will also receive information regarding their options.
For those who participate in organized activities within our facilities, please contact your local organizer for more information.
More information can be found on our website at https://reddeer.ca/whats-happening/covid-19/what-has-changed/recreation-and-culture-activities/.
For more information, contact:
The City of Red Deer