Temporary Emergency Shelter
Currently located in the Cannery Row building (5239 53 Avenue), the temporary emergency shelter is operated by Safe Harbour Society and funded by the Province of Alberta. The following information is related to the City processes that have taken place since the temporary emergency shelter opened in March 2020 in response to COVID-19 public health measures:
- July 20, 2021: Rezoning extension application for temporary shelter denied during Regular Council Meeting
- July 6, 2021: Rezoning extension application received for temporary shelter
- June 21, 2021: Council directs administration to explore land purchasing opportunities to relocate the temporary emergency shelter.
- June 18, 2021: Council to receive update on site options for temporary emergency shelter
- May 26, 2021: Council approves extension of operations of interim shelter at current location until September 30, 2021 and issue mitigation tactics for Railyards neighbourhood.
- May 21, 2021: Public Hearing followed by considerations to extend interim shelter operations at current location
- April 29, 2021: First reading passed to extend interim shelter operations at Cannery Row
- April 29, 2021: Council to consider extension for interim shelter at Cannery Row
- April 7, 2021: Council supports interim shelter, directs administration to find alternative location
- March 29, 2021: Temporary shelter to operate for two more months at current location