Block Party Program
Host a Block Party in your neighbourhood!
The idea of a Block Party is simply to bring neighbours together. This can take the form of a potluck on the driveway, to a BBQ on your green space, or a campfire in someone's backyard. Getting together with neighbours provides an opportunity to get to know those people that live closest to you and help build a sense of community. Neighbours who know each other, look out for one another; whether it is to borrow a cup of sugar, to care for children in a time of need or keeping an eye out on someone's house while they are away. It's all about building community and with a Block Party it's all about making it fun!
For more information
Make your party a success with these tools and resources!
Resources for planning your party
- Block Party Planning Guide (pdf)
- Block Party Summer Invitation (pdf)
- Block Party Poster (pdf)
- Neighbourhood BINGO Game (pdf)
- List of BBQ's available for use (pdf)
- Neighbours Permission to Block a Street (pdf)
Top Ten Reasons to host a Block Party:
- To have fun
- To get to know your neighbours
- To build friendships
- To create a sense of belonging
- To be able to borrow a cup of sugar or a ladder, or lend a hand babysitting, snow shovelling or pet sitting
- To create pride in a well-kept neighbourhood
- By knowing your neighbours, crime is reduced and safety increased
- To increase security, knowing when and who should be coming and going
- To learn about the history of your neighbourhood
- To create a group to plan many more fun events!
In some cases you may require a Special Event Permit; for instances if you are planning to block a roadway or have high risk activities such as a bouncy castle or a very large party. For more information on Special Event Permits contact Inspections and Licensing.