Downtown Residential Heritage Sites Gallery
Clarke HouseLocated at 4757 56 Street
Clarke House, ca. 1910. Red Deer Archives P1753
The Clarke House was built ca. 1903 by Rev. Leonard Gaetz and his wife Carolynn as a wedding present for their daughter Gertrude and her new husband Hugh Clarke. Hugh was a prominent master craftsman and building contractor who worked on such early buildings as the Red Deer Co-operative Creamery, C.N.R. Station, and the city’s first covered ice, curling and hockey rink, as well as some prominent residential dwellings.
The Clarke House is significant for its Gothic Cottage style with Victorian influences and its association with Gertrude Gaetz, the Gaetz family and Hugh Clarke.
The house is protected as a designated municipal historic resource (HP-12) and is listed on The City’s Places of Interest List (POIL).
Historic Site Details
|Statement of Significance||Clarke House Statement of Significance, 2004 (pdf)|
|Year of Municipal Designation||1994|
|Land Use Bylaw Historic Overlay||HP-12|