Family and Community Support Services
What is FCSS?
FCSS is the abbreviation for Family and Community Support Services. It is a program offered by The Province of Alberta Human Services Ministry to local municipalities and Metis settlements. Involvement by the municipality is voluntary.
If the municipality opts to be involved, then FCSS provincial funding (80%) must be matched with local tax dollars (20%). This combined funding is then used to support preventive social initiatives, program and services that are shown to enhance the social well-being of individuals, families and/or the community.
Each municipality has the autonomy to determine the FCSS process at the local level. For that reason, FCSS can look vastly different from one municipality to another.
Red Deer & District FCSS
In this region, Red Deer & District FCSS is structured in a regional partnership of six municipalities which are represented at the FCSS Board as follows:
- City of Red Deer Municipal Council Members (2)
- Red Deer County Council Members (2)
- Town of Bowden Municipal Council Member (1)
- Village of Delburne Municipal Council Member (1)
- Village of Elnora Municipal Council Member (1)
- Town of Penhold Municipal Council Member (1)
- Members of the public (residents of Red Deer) (4)
The Red Deer & District FCSS Board meets monthly (excluding January, July and August).
In each partner municipality, FCSS supports a FCSS Community Worker(s) and/or a Community Facilitator(s).