Fee Assistance Program
The Fee Assistance Program offers financial support to people who are currently facing financial challenges and want to use City-operated recreation facilities or take part in City offered Recreation or Culture programs or activities.
Pending available funding, the program provides a subsidy of up to $200 per year to each eligible person for Safe & Healthy Communities program registrations, plus a Recreation Pass Card to access drop-in activities at City operated recreation facilities.
How to Qualify
You may automatically qualify for the Safe & Healthy Communities Fee Assistance Program if you are a Red Deer resident and one of the following applies to you.
If you have the documentation for one of the following qualifiers, you can bring your qualifying documentation, Government issued ID, and proof of residence if your ID does not show your current Red Deer address to the Customer Service Representatives at the Collicutt, GH Dawe, Recreation Centre, or Michener Centre for same day enrollment.
- You are on AISH (Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped): Please provide a copy of your current direct deposit statement from your AISH that shows the expiry date and the names of the individual(s) covered under your health benefits card, or a dated letter from your Public Trustee Representative confirming that you are currently on AISH.
- You are on Income Support or another Alberta Works program: Please provide a copy of your letter stating the expiry date along with either your dated Adult/Child Benefit Card or direct deposit statement.
- You are a Red Deer Housing Authority Tenant: Please provide a copy of your most recent rent receipt from Red Deer Housing Authority, or your current rental housing contract from Red Deer Housing Authority.
- You are on Guaranteed Income Support: Please provide a copy of your current Guaranteed Income letter, direct deposit statement, or Health benefits card with expiry date that shows the names of the individual(s) covered under your health benefits card.
- You have refugee status: Please provide a copy of your Protected Person Status document (For Refugee Claimants, provide a copy of your Refugee Protection Claimant document), or Single Journey Document for Resettlement to Canada.
- You have been referred by a Referral Agency: Please provide a confirmation number from the agency.
If you are not a recipient of any of these programs or benefits you may still apply online with your Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment to find out if you qualify as low income. Canada Revenue Agency Notices of Assessment cannot be accepted by the Customer Service Representatives at City Operated recreation facilities, and must be processed by qualified staff through the online application process.
Applying for Funding
In Person – Same Day Processing and Enrollment with a Qualifier
For same day processing and enrollment, apply in person at the Collicutt, GH Dawe, Recreation Centre, or Michener Centre with your ID, Proof of residence, and documentation for one of the qualifiers listed above.
Online – Low Income with Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment, or Other Qualifier
Fill out the online form in its entirety, including information about yourself as the primary applicant and all family members.
In your online application, you are required to provide either proof of income (most recent tax year Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment for each adult applying) or proof of automatic qualifier as listed above. Also required is proof of identification (Government issued ID), and proof of residence if your current address is not listed on your ID or qualifying documentation. Applications will not be processed until all documentation is obtained. We will reach out through the email address you provide in the form if we need to gather more information to process your application.
Fee Assistance Program Application Form
To talk to a staff member for more information regarding the program, call:
- Collicutt Centre: 403-358-7532
- G.H. Dawe Community Centre: 403-406-8600
- Recreation Centre: 403-309-8428
- Michener Aquatic Centre: 403-406-8803
- Culture Services Centre: 403-406-8820
If you are unable to submit an application online, you may be required to set up an in person appointment at one of the facilities listed above to determine your eligibility (dependent on staff availability). Please be prepared to provide your current tax year Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment, proof of identification, and your current contact information at any in person appointments. Call your preferred facility, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.