Streets and Lanes FAQs

How do I go about having the lane behind my residence paved?

Improvements such as lane paving are handled through a Local Improvement. For the procedures to follow, please refer to the Local Improvements page.

Who do I call if I am concerned about branches hanging too low over a sidewalk, street, or traffic sign, or causing sight problems at intersections?

To have a tree or hedge looked at, please have the civic address of the property of concern on hand and contact the Engineering Services department at 403-342-8158.

How do I go about getting a driveway crossing and how much would it cost?

This information is available in our Curb, Sidewalk and Driveway Crossing Policy (pdf) or by contacting the Engineering Services department at 403-342-8158. Estimates can be obtained over the phone and are subject to street conditions, size and time of year.

I have noticed that not all intersections have drop curbs at pedestrian crossings. Which City department would I contact to have a curb ramp installed?

Curb ramps are installed at all intersections in new subdivisions. Curb ramps are installed only if the sidewalk requires replacement as a priority under the Capital Sidewalk Program.

Contact the Engineering Services department for further information.

How do I get a parking meter hooded?

To have a parking meter hooded, contact the Engineering Services department at 403-342-8158. They will require the number of the meter (shown on each meter) to be hooded and the duration the hooding is required. Applicable charges will apply.

What are the requirements for hoarding a sidewalk or lane of traffic?

Hoarding is another term for using a portion of the sidewalk, laneway or roadway for a temporary period to accommodate construction or maintenance of your property. There is a charge for this based upon the size of the hoarding and the length of time you wish to use it. Please contact the Engineering Services department at 403-342-8158 for further information or to arrange for this service.