Boat and Canoe Launches
City of Red Deer boat and canoe launches are located at:
- Kiwanis Park – 4707 Fountain Drive. Boat launch with vehicle access. Open 7 a.m. – 11 p.m.
- Great West Adventure Park - BMX – canoe launch with vehicle access
- Fort Normandeau – canoe launch with vehicle access. Open 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Waskasoo Crescent (corner of 45 Avenue and 59 Street) canoe launch
- Mckenzie Trail North – Access to McKenzie Trail Recreation Area is from 55 Street; travel north on 45 Avenue until the road ends; canoe launch, no vehicle access, parking available. Open 7 a.m. – 11 p.m.
- Riverbend – boat launch with vehicle access (3800 River Bend Drive)
- Lower – 25 Riverview Park; canoe launch only, no vehicle access. Open 7 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Red Deer County boat and canoe launches are located at:
- A-Soo-Wuh-Um Day Use Area – Highway 592 west at Penhold. Open May 15 to September 30. Gate opens at 8 a.m. and closes at 9:30 p.m.
- Joffre Bridge day use area – Highway 11 east of Red Deer. Open May 15 to September 30. Gate opens at 9 a.m. and closes at 8:30 p.m.
Things to know before you go
- Please note that gates at all locations are locked outside of the hours of operation. Boaters who get off the river late may not be able to access their vehicle or may find it has been towed.
- Waterway users are reminded of the importance of protecting the habitat and wildlife of the river, as litter in the river has damaging, often deadly, repercussions on aquatic life.
- Each canoeist or rafter should have the appropriate personal protective and boat safety equipment, including a life jacket or personal floatation device, a bailing bucket, a rope and a safety whistle. See Transport Canada for further guidelines.
- In Canada, each person operating a motorized boat is also required by law to carry a pleasure craft Operator Competency card.
- Please note that parking off the highway when accessing boat launches is both illegal and dangerous. Vehicles parked on private property, or blocking access to private property, will be towed.
- For more information about boat and canoe launches in Red Deer, call Parks & Public Works at 403-342-8238.