Family and Community Support Services
What is FCSS?
FCSS is the abbreviation for Family and Community Support Services. It is a program offered by The Province of Alberta Ministry of Community and Social Services to local municipalities and Metis settlements. Involvement by the municipality is voluntary.
If the municipality chooses to be involved, then FCSS provincial funding (80 per cent) must be matched with local tax dollars (20 per cent). This combined funding is then used to support preventive social initiatives, program, and services that are shown to enhance the social well-being of individuals, families, and/or the community.
Each municipality has the autonomy to determine the FCSS process at the local level. For that reason, FCSS can look vastly different from one municipality to another.
Red Deer & District FCSS
In this region, Red Deer & District FCSS is structured in a regional partnership of six municipalities which are represented at the FCSS Board as follows:
- City of Red Deer Municipal Council Members (2)
- Red Deer County Council Members (2)
- Town of Bowden Municipal Council Member (1)
- Village of Delburne Municipal Council Member (1)
- Village of Elnora Municipal Council Member (1)
- Town of Penhold Municipal Council Member (1)
- Members of the public (residents of Red Deer) (4)
The Red Deer & District FCSS Board meets monthly (excluding January, July and August).
In each partner municipality, FCSS supports a Community Workers and Community Facilitators.
Red Deer & District FCSS Funding Cycle
Red Deer & District FCSS provides operational funding on a three year basis. Allocation of funding for the three year cycle of 2018, 2019, and 2020 has already been determined.
If there is an increase in funding, additional funding opportunities may occur during this time period. If not, then the next FCSS funding call, for Red Deer & District FCSS, will be in January 2020 for funding for 2020, 2021, and 2022. In the meantime, the only remaining FCSS funding available is Agency Capacity Building Grant which has as annual budget of approximately $30,000 per year.
Red Deer & District FCSS Funding Categories
FCSS provides funding to nonprofit agencies, school boards, and partner municipalities to deliver social services, supports, or programs that meet the criteria of the FCSS Act.
Currently, FCSS projects are funded in one of five categories:
- Children and Youth
- Community Development
2018-2020 Red Deer & District Family and Community Support Services Funding Allocation
The Red Deer & District FCSS Board has chosen programs to receive funding for the 2018-2020 funding cycle.
Programs were chosen based on these regional priorities:
- Agencies must be collaborative
- Projects should promote strong social networks
- Projects should promote a holistic approach to well-being
- Projects should promote family counselling
- Projects should be open and flexible to participant needs and access
- Projects should be sustainable, accountable financially and in leadership, early prevention lens, client centred.
A listing of the 2018 - 2020 FCSS Funded Projects with contact information is available in the 2018-2020 FCSS Funded Projects Brochure (pdf)