Goal: To improve the quality of our water resources and increase water conservation.
Environmental Master Plan
The 2019 Environmental Master Plan (pdf) identifies six focus areas: water, ecology, community design, air, energy and waste. See our progress in each focus area by clicking on the tiles below.
Goal: To decrease the amount of waste going to landfill and increase waste diversion opportunities.
Goal: To reduce energy use and move towards using renewable energy sources.
Goal: To protect and enhance the terrestrial and aquatic health of the natural heritage system.
Goal: To plan and build a well-connected, sustainable community that contributes to a quality of life for residents.
Goal: To improve air quality and reduce emissions.
Highlights of achievements
2021 marks 10 years since the EMP was first adopted by Council as a planning tool. Much has been achieved, including:
- Implemented the Green Cart program, reducing residential waste to landfill and decreasing GHG emissions
- Installed co-generation at Collicutt Centre and solar panels at Sorensen Station
Facilitated community renewable energy installations throughout the city, expanding to one hundred times 2010’s capacity
- Created Urban Forest Management Plan to help us maintain a sustainable urban forest and all its health, social and environmental benefits
- Water use targets have been consistently achieved and strengthened
- Installed methane flaring at the Waste Management Facility to reduce GHG emissions
- Trialled an electric vehicle and used grants to purchase other EVs
- Worked to reduce emissions from Transit by switching to natural gas buses
- Used a grant from Federation of Canadian Municipalities to hire a Climate Change Specialist